History Index |
French Revolution |
French Revolution, 1789.
- 1789, 5 May - French Parliament (Estates-General) met at Versailles, for the first time in 175 years, and proclaimed themselves the national Assembly.
- 1789, 14 July - Storming of the Bastille
- 1791 - King Louis XVI attempted to flee France with his family and was arrested
- 1793 - King Louis XVI, and then his widow Marie Antoinette, guillotined
- 1793 - the Reign of Terror sweeping through France, claiming Robespierre as one of its illustrious victims.
- 1799 - Napoleon Bonaparte seized power in a coup d'état, and began his conquest of western Europe, doing very well until 1812.
- 1815 - Bourbon dynasty restored
- 1830 - July Revolution, installed Louis Philippe as the last king of France, ousting the Bourbons
- 1848 - the February Revolution installed a republican government in place of the monarchy