Sites Main-page |
Sites A-Z |
Rivers, Waterfalls |
Roman Sites |
Unusual Sites |
In addition to the Roman Sites pages (listed below), the individual Beyond Village pages include a brief Roman history and list important artifacts and ruins, when known.
Roman Provence |
Roman Empire |
Domitienne Way |
• Alaunium [area map]
• Aurelian Way
• Aurélien Villa
• Domitienne Way
• Entremont Oppidum [q13, S] - This excevated Roman town is located on a low hill just 2 km north of Aix-en-Provence center.
• Flayosc Roman Bridge (Flayosc)
• Ganagobie Roman Bridge (Ganagobie)
• Glanum [area map] - A pair of Roman monuments and an excavated Roman town on a site dating from the 4th century BC. A "must see"; plan at least an hour's stop here.
• Mons Roman Aqueduct [area map]
• Pierre-Ecrite [area map] - Large Roman inscription (the written stone) between Sisteron and Saint Geniez.
• Les Plaines Roman Bridge (Pont Romain des Plaines) [r14, NE] - A small twin-arched stone Roman bridge on the plains of the Var departement, crossing a small stream that divides a land of solid rock and wide, green vineyards.
• Pont du Gard [area map] - The Pont du Gard is a three-level stone aqueduct crossing the Gardon river valley, about 25 km west of Avignon. Built over 2000 years ago, in 19 BC, by Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, the son-in-law of Augustus.
• Pont Julien (Pont Julien) [Pont Julien Area Map] - A lovely three-arched, stone Roman bridge crossing a small stream west of the town of Apt.
• Roman Provence
• Roman Roads - The main Roman roads, Domitienne Way and Aurelian Way are mentioned in Beyond's History section.
• Sommières Roman Bridge (Sommieres)
• Trophée des Alpes [area map] - Roman monument site on the road into Gaul.
• Vernegues Roman Temple [area map] - 1st-c BC Roman Temple with a tall Corinthian column and adjoining 12th-c chapel, in a lovely woods setting
• Villa Marius [area map] - Roman farm and winery near Roquebrussanne in the Var.